Thursday, August 31, 2006

Day Extra Large! - Am I Too Late?

I just found out that in 2002 (after I had started working on The Larch) Rachel Pollack published a book called A Secret Woman about A TRANSSEXUAL POLICE DETECTIVE!

Aw man. I had looked for such books when I started The Larch, but at that time there were none. I fugured I have a better chance with it if it were the first and only. Now whatever I do must be complared with a preeminent author who's won REAL awards.

Anyway, the hero in The Larch wants a new name. For now we'll call her X.

So I'm thinking that X's last name should be Pinkerton (after the famous Chicago detective). What I'm not so sure about is her first name. I want it to be something tied to Chicago so I have as role models:

1. Jane Addams (of Hull House fame)

2. Daryl Hannah (tall, blond Chicagoan, but too male a name (?))


3. Sophonisba Breckinridge (first Dean of the University of Chicago's School of Social Service Admin and shares a last name with Myra Breckinridge)

4. Jane Byrne (first woman mayor of Chicago and another Jane)

5. Mother Francis Xavier Cabrini (first North American Saint, but could be thought that I named the character after the housing project that shares the Saint's name)

6. Ida B. Wells (civil rights activist)

There they are, who do you want?

EDITOR'S NOTE: Blogger won't let me post photos of Jane Byrne, Mother Cabrini and Ida Wells.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are very odd