Friday, December 21, 2012

Howlina Characters Day 21 - Marks

"21.) What would your character’s cutie mark be?"

"Cutie Mark" is a new term for me.  It refers to My Little Pony and is FAR too cutsie for me or for this story as a matter of fact.

I think I want to call it something else, maybe a tattoo.  I don't personally like tattoos unless they are from a traditional tattoo culture (like Polynesia), but I'll try not to let my opinion bias this too much.  In other words, I don't want readers to think that the reason these characters don't have tattoos is because I don't like them.  I want readers to see that if these characters do or don't have tattoos it is because that is their character.

Maori "cutie mark"
Howlers are not a visual art type people.  They value literary and musical arts above all others and neglect paintings, clothing fashion, jewelry and sculpture as art.  Their architecture is much more functional than stylistic as well.  They like things to be aesthetically pleasing, but they don't put too much into it.

With that in mind it is rare that a Howler would get a tattoo, and Supers even less likely.  They feel that being Supers sets them apart and binds them as a group already.

However, if Viole were to get a tattoo and it were to represent her personality, proclivity and interests it would be a heart with a book on it and a sunburst behind.  I think she would put it where only her husband would see it.

My initial reaction is that Frank would not have a tattoo, not because I don't like them, but because it seems fairly cliche for a "modern cowboy" to have a tattoo.

I think if anything he would have a brand on his chest, over his heart.  Because it's a brand it can't be as elaborate as a tattoo.  It would be a lantern for his never ending vigil for truth, knowledge and love.

He doesn't have a brand.  He doesn't because a) he doesn't need to prove how tough he is, b) a brand is something you put on cattle and he is certainly not part of any herd.  He is "owned" by his search, drive and determination, but he thinks in his own mind and heart that he owns that drive, not the other way round.

He does have scars and they are tattoo enough for him.

No comments: