Friday, August 05, 2011

Libertyville Village Band 2011 Concert 6 Review

We play on the landing here at the Cook Museum in Libertyville, IL
I completely forgot to report on the Libertyville Village Band's last concert of this summer. It was on Thursday, 29 July 2011.

The band board received a commendation from Libertyville Mayor Weppler. We followed on the heels of a senior picnic so we had probably our biggest crowd except for the Forth of July.

Our intended play list was as follows:

1. Triumphant Fanfare, Star Spangled Banner
2. The Dancing Cabalerro
3. Man of the Hour March
4. Il Convegno
5. Mary Poppins
6. Lassus Trombone
7. Beale Street Blues
8. The Fairest of the Fair
9. The Avenger March
9. Big Band Spectacular
10. Band of the Shenandoah
11. Star Spangled Spectacular

I've been to four of the six concerts we've had this year. I missed the previous two concerts, but still the only song I had played with the band in concert before was the Star Spangled Banner and Triumphant Fanfare. Every other song was not played at all on the first three concerts.

That somewhat excuses us for being so out of sync that the director stopped us and restarted Beale Street Blues. It isn't enough of an excuse that we still couldn't get it together after the restart and he cut it off and went to the next song.

We skipped The Avenger March altogether and he whispered to us to skip The Band of the Shenandoah, but after we played Fairest of the Fair and Big Band Spectular, he launched right into Band of the Shenandoah. We finished up with Star Spangled Spectacular.

I have to make special note of Il Convegno. First, there are no sax parts for that song so we sat out. Second, there is a large clarinet duet that the song is built around. The band director and another clarinetist did the duet. I don't remember the name of the second clarinetist, but he's a recently graduated senior from High School and was fantastic.

My family also attended, which was a real treat, and I appreciate their support.

That's one summer down. I was just awful, but I think I was slowly improving. Maybe if I keep at it by next year I'll be an actual asset to the band rather than a hanger-on that is just trying to be as little an impediment as possible.

I may join the College of Lake County band, which only performs one concert and plays the same songs all semester. That would be good for me, to concentrate on a few songs.

No comments: