Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Bike Commute 2011 - Day 35 (Neal Anderson?) - Focus!

How to stay focused?  From the get-go of bike commuting I decided I did not want my bike commutes to become like car commutes, with my mind wandering and not noticing the world around me.

Of course when I first started it was easy.  Everything was new and everything was an experience.  I planned what to write and I wrote about everything.

Now, my mind wanders.  I've talked about practice breeding complacency, and that is very true, not only about building skills but about staying aware and in awe of the world.

On the other hand, I used to use my commute to work out details of some of my fiction writing.  At other times I would use that time to listen to audio-books, sometimes even non-fiction.

I guess I could use the other 2/3rds of the working year to do those things.

So, I'm back to trying to find a way to stay focused.

Does anyone else have this problem?

IN (Tuesday, 2 Aug 11) -
Started a bit late today, but I did hit the snooze button so I started the whole day one snooze late (5 minute).  It was overcast so even darker than yesterday, and it was even hotter.

I strained and did actually hear crickets and frogs along the way today.

Everything seemed very mundane though and I was thinking I wouldn't have anything to write about at all.   

Then I got stopped by a train.

I was coming up the hill over the highway on Atkinson and I thought I heard a train whistle.  I had heard that sound before and when I topped the hill I realized it was just the whine of my tires on the pavement and not a train at all.  Today, it was a train.

It was moving slowly when I first saw it, but it picked up speed and I only got delayed for 2-3 minutes.

I tried to take some pictures, but you know what, there are reflective squares on the sides of train cars.  I didn't realize that until every photo had huge bright squares from my flash bouncing off.  I don’t think any of the photos are any good but I'll share them to show how bad they are. 
Night Train to Terror - You cannot stop evil with bullets
HOME -
Oppressive, stifling heat, bearing down and strangling my vision.  That thing I said about the heat and pain tightening your vision, shrinking your world to just the trail and pedaling home made me it’s bitch today.

It was 94 real degrees and the heat index was 107o!  1-0h my god-7!  That’s Africa Hot!

It took me 56 minutes to get home yet somehow I felt like I was pedaling as hard as I could and really moving.  I guess the world was moving around me.

I don’t know if I can stay here if it’s going to be this hot.
 
No pictures, no jokes, no nothing today.  F that!

No comments: