Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bike Commute 2011 - Day 43


Day 43
IN -
I ride to work on Route 176.  It runs East-West, just a couple of blocks north of my house.  There are three ways to get to it from my subdivision, but the way that is furthest East and thus, the least riding on the busy street takes me through the subdivision and out a small trail between two houses.  It’s a paved walk/ride way, but it is narrower than a normal sidewalk and unlit.
This morning I was changing gears and trying to dodge potholes when I made my approach.  I guess I was aimed just a little to the side.
I didn’t see it until I was right on top of it because my lights were on the dim side.
Suddenly I was right on top of the curb and a mailbox.
Thanks to my ninja-cat-like reflexes I managed to steer clear of the curb and onto the path, but I came this close (holding up my thumb and forefinger a Planck length apart (yes, it is a real unit of measure)) to eating a mailbox.  I was pretty cowed for the rest of the ride.
HOME -
Birdbath for emus
Got home pretty quick today, nothing interesting or memorable to see really.
I do seem to remember lots of guys with white shirts.  I guess I’m in fashion.
Not that it is something special for today, but I took a picture of this Giant bird bath.  I don't know if it's evident in the photo, but this thing is probably about five feet tall (1.5m) and made of concrete so I would guess it weighs a couple hundred pounds (over 100kg).  I don't know why you would need such a huge birdbath.  It's always caught my eye as I ride and it is only visible from the bike trail so it is sort of my little secret.

No comments: