Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bike Commute 2011 - Day 40

Day XL - from 10 Aug 11
IN -


Got a very late start for some reason and left at 4:12.

I had been reading about amateur astronomy, so when I left and the sky was so clear I caught myself star gaping. I didn't cause a gazers block or anything, but I was slower because I was distracted by the stars.

The night was very clear and before I left, while I was standing in my driveway I saw a meteor. I saw another one on Atkinson.

I spotted Cassiopeia while standing there as well. Once I got going Orion was very visible. I noted that he was laying down on the job. I couldn't see the big dipper though. Those are about the only three, "constellations" that I can recognize, I'm ashamed to say.

The moon is nearly full this next couple of days, but it had set already by the time I got out.

Otherwise I didn't notice anything interesting.

HOME -

Much nicer day today. The wind felt much lighter so I was surprised to see when I got home and checked that it was 9mph WNW. I guess my estimate for yesterday was possibly conservative.

It was a sunny, beautiful day at about 75o. It felt like early October rather than early August.

I was feeling so good and light hearted that I actually stopped to snap some pictures.

The first was a pair of gym shoes hanging from a telephone (power?) line. I didn't know people still did that.

The second was from the same spot, but looking in a different direction (off Seymour, just east of Kracklauer Park). It looked and sounded idyllic. You could hear the little brook babbling away. In the distance there was a couple lying on a blanket.

No comments: