Saturday, January 05, 2013

Becoming a Full Time Writer

I still need to decide on a Mental, Writing and Abbott Worker goals, but as I break and for fun I found a website with "10 Questions Writers Must Ask Before Quitting Their Day Job."

First I'll give the questions and then the answers:


1. DO I REALLY NEED TO WRITE FULL TIME TO BE SUCCESSFUL?
2. DO I REALLY WANT TO WRITE FULL TIME?
3. DO I HAVE A SENSIBLE FINANCIAL PLAN AND ADEQUATE FINANCIAL RESOURCES?
4. AM I PREPARED FOR THE LONG GAME?
5. CAN I FIND AFFORDABLE HEALTH INSURANCE?
6. AM I CUT OUT TO BE AN ENTREPRENEUR?
7. WHAT’S MY PLAN FOR HUMAN INTERACTION?
8. DO I HAVE THE DISCIPLINE TO WORK INDEPENDENTLY?
9. ARE MY FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS SUPPORTIVE?
10. WHAT’S MY PLAN B?

My answers:
  1.  MAYBE - I think I can be successful if I manage to become an archaeologist, but there are many levels of success.  I would probably be disappointed in my life if I did not get a few books published and earn a significant part of my income from writing, but earning it all from writing would not be necessary for me to fell successful.
  2. YES - I do like the idea of writing full time.  It is certainly a job I would enjoy immensely.  I also see it as the only possible way I could make it rich.  I don't really think it will make me rich, but none of the other things I think I could do would do it.  At least this has a chance.
  3. NO - Financial plan, nope, don't got one of those.  I think this is a deal breaker if you have a family.
  4. YES - I often imagine what life would be like as an author.  I like what I see.
  5. YES - I'm already being carried under Mrs. Prop because I can and it is the most economical way for us to do it.  I could just keep that up.
  6. MAYBE - I'm smart enough and I do like the idea of it enough.  I think I'm disciplined enough, tax-wise and I'm good enough with self promotion, but I've never really been tested.
  7. YES - This isn't a yes/no question, but I can handle human interaction.  I have a family and I would certainly keep up things like my volunteer work and clubs.  There is no problem here.
  8. YES - I've done it before and I can do it again.
  9. MAYBE - Since I have no financial plan I'm sure they would think I'm crazy and Mrs. Prop would probably have me institutionalized, so right now I think it would be a temporary, "No."
  10. NO - I don't have one.  I need the security of my corporate job and without big checks rolling in and more in the mail, I couldn't swing it.  I wouldn't have a safety net and I can't work without one.
 That makes 5 Yes's, 3 Maybe's, and 2 No's.  I think the No's are deal breakers so no full-time writing for me, not yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bill, I'm back!! I don't know if this is good or bad in your book. I've read through your book writing Questions and Answers. Very intersting. What about an equity mortgage to help out financially; until you started making money on your books? Just a thought, my Love. xoxoxoxox Auntie Char; always looking out for my sweethearts. ;-p

Inner Prop said...

Thanks. I'm not nearly ready yet. This was just a fun exercise to see how far I was from leaving my day job. I'm closer than I thought, but I'm not doing that for a long while yet.