This year I want to also consider my Roles and goals for them. Am I taking on too many goals? I don't think so. In each of these roles I want to improve and in each of these roles I will have to make decisions on how to best use my time. With goals in place it should be easier to decide how to spend my time. Now following those decisions is another matter.
I see my roles, in no particular order as:
- Family Man (father, husband, son-in-law, son, brother etc.)
- Abbott Worker
- District Commissioner
- Girl Scout Leader
- Job Hunter
I found an article in About.com regarding setting goals. They mention 6 steps. I see them more as points, but I will number, summarize and paraphrase them here:
- Desire the goal
- What do you (what does the world) look like having accomplished the goal?
- Have a plan with interim steps (sounds like GTD's Next Actions)
- Write down and share the goal
- Set due dates (for those interim steps)
- Review your progress
This is what I am going to do in Part 2 of this Goal Setting work. I'm going to set goals for each role and then apply the 6 steps to each. I may have to do this in one post for each role.