Friday, May 27, 2011

Bike Commute 2011 - Day 18

IN -
Back in the saddle again today. I woke up and looked out the window. It was supposed to be overcast, but I saw the whole Big Dipper and a lovely crescent moon in a midnight blue sky.

It was cold though, about 45o with a wind chill down around 40o. I decided that it was jacket weather. I wore my gloves and a short sleeve tee shirt under and didn’t zip the collar all the way up to my chin, but my ears did get cold.

I had had my Bears cap on the back on the bike on Wednesday, that muddy return ride, so I had to find a new billed cap to wear.

I use the cap to shield my eyes from oncoming headlights to protect my night vision as well as I can. I ended up with a tan cap we got from Abbott Laboratories (where Mrs. Prop and I work).

I passed a brown fox crossing the street in Mundelein.

As soon as I started heading east the sky was lightening up. The midnight blue gave way to a deep royal blue, then an orange glow grew on the horizon. By the time I got to the highway overpass there were streaks of yellow through the wide band of orange that sat beneath the deep blue turning sky from royal.

It brought to mind the descriptions of dawn in the Oddessy, that of dawn spreading her rosy fingers. It didn't seem that way to me at all, it was more like rolling back the lid of night on a bright new day.

I wanted to take a picture, but I didn't think I could capture it.

Back to the mundane. I had forgotten to change into my gym shoes yesterday when I left work, so I only had a pair of my semi-dress shoes to wear for my ride in. That's what I ended up taking a picture of. They don't look so bad, do they?
Don't look, I'm ugly

HOME -
The computer said that it is a 10mph easterly, but it seemed like the wind was more out of the north than east, but it was nice and sunny.

There were several interesting yet strong smells. First was the smell of ponds, or water; then cut grass and the foliage. In Mundelein someone must have been doing construction because I could smell the lumber, finally nearing home I could smell the fresh tar from the neighbors getting new driveways. All the odors were pleasant.

The not so nice thing, aggravating actually, was that there were still puddles of standing water and mud. That was really what the pond, water smell was. I discovered it when I surprisingly rode through the first one.

I wasn't packed for a wet ride this time so I had to ride carefully. I slowly rode through six puddles and around one major puddle that flooded the bike drive through at Dairy Dream.

No comments: