Tuesday, October 29, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 Prep Continues

Frozen Cthulhu, yum!
I'm going to go ahead and give you the detailed description of Pattell University, then my next post I'll go back and hit Kaye Dacus' instructions.

Pattell University
  • Motto:  Victory to the Enlightened
  • Established:  1920
  • Type:  Private
  • Location:  SE Corner of N. Halstead and W. Division
    • Roughly a triangle pointing down
    • Borders
      • Division on North
      • Larrabee on the East
      • Halstead on the NE to the River
      • River on the East
      • Larrabee and Kingsbury on the South
  • Students
    • Undergrad: 4000
    • Grad:  1000
  • Faculty:  500 
  • Colors:  Scarlet and Orange with Yellow accents / piping (Scarlet is Engineers and Field Artillery, Orange is Signal, Yellow is Cavalry)
  • Nickname:  Thunder
  • Sports
    • Div III
    • Men's
      1. Lacrosse
      2. Swimming and Diving
      3. Volleyball
      4. Water polo
      • Formerly had:
        1. Basketball
        2. Football
        3. Gymnastics
    • Women's
      1. Field Hockey
      2. Swimming and Diving
      3. Volleyball
      4. Water polo
      • Formerly had:
        1. Basketball
        2. Gymnastics
  • Colleges:
    • College of Architecture
    • College of Education and Library and Information Science
    • School of Medicine
    • College of LAS
  • Campus
    • Walled campus
    • All bricks
    • Buildings crammed together - They were designed by the architecture students to work almost exactly like a jigsaw
    • No building taller than 8 floors
    • 17 Buildings
      • Each College has 2 instructional buildings and one residence hall (N to S)
      1. Hospital
      2. Medical School Building
      3. Medical Residence Hall*
      4. LAS Building 1*
      5. LAS Building 2*
      6. LAS Residence Hall*
      7. Architecture Buliding 1*
      8. Architecture Building 2*
      9. Architecture Residence Hall*
      10. Ed & LIS Building*
      11. ED & LIS Residence Hall*
      12. Student Union
      13. Faculty Building
      14. Administrative Building
      15. Library
      16. Gymnasium
      17. Natatorium
      18. Athletic field with 2000 seats
  1. History
    1. In 1804 Pattell's oldest son, Louis, left Chicago to attend a university in the east.  He met a schoolteacher who longed to learn more.  They fell in love and were married.  He promised to teach her as much as a man would learn to earn a bachelors' degree. 
    2. In 1808, the father died and Louis brought his wife back to Chicago.  By the time they arrived, his younger brother had taken over the paternal duties.  Louis and his wife, Louise moved north along the river in an amicable agreement between the brothers.  Louis feared that he would be too far from Fort Dearborn to seek refuge there so he moved his house to Goose Island while farming on the east bank of the river.
    3. In their house, Louis taught Louise everything that he could.  Louis majored in astronomy and had brought what was at the time the most powerful telescope west of the Appalachians to his house.  He built the house to have an observatory in the top floor.
      1. The astronomy was useful for the farmers and they published a small almanac.
      2. Although it was called the Pattell Women's Academy at first as a derisive term, this was the first school for adults in the west.
      3. It was soon apparent in the boomtown of Chicago that the math Louis knew was much more useful than the astronomy and he gained more and more business students.
      4. The school thrived and grew.
    4. By 1820, it was referred to as the Pattell Academy and the first brick building was built.
      1. The Smith building (named after the financier who invested the money to build it) was 3 stories tall.  The first story was administrative offices, the second story was classrooms and the top floor was an observatory.  It was the tallest building in Chicago.
    5. By 1830, the Pattells had built several more brick buildings on the island and moved to the east bank for residence.
    6. In 1850, Louis died, but his wife and children continued to teach accounting, business, and astronomy.
      1. The astronomy was dying, but Louise hired an eccentric professor to come to their "Academy."  He was a strange and evil man.  It was Louise's last official act before dying.
      2. Louis' son Michael hated the astronomy professor.  He built the school so much that they decided to expand to the Pattell holdings on the east bank.  Michael built an extremely substantial building for the library just south of his house.  This was as far south as the Academy would go in what was named the New Campus.
      3. The buildings and their surrounding wall on the island were referred to as the Old Campus after that.
    7. In 1860 both Michael and the evil astronomy professor died.  Astronomy was moved off the curriculum and all the astronomic data was moved to the Library for long-term storage.
      1. Michael's son Henry became head of the school at Michael's death and he named himself Dean.  He was not a fan of business or math and he pushed to expand the Academy in the realm of science.
      2. Henry went to the Civil War as a Signal Officer.  He championed the use of balloons for Artillery spotting
      3. After the war Henry returned with several new friends he had made in the war.  They included Artillery Officers, Engineer Officers and Signal Officers, some from very prominent Chicago families
      4. Under Henry, the school was divided into the Business Division, the Law Division and the Natural History Division.  NHD was the smallest but Henry forced it to grow, despite the lack of interest, funds and teachers.
    8. By the time of the Great Fire, the school had occupied all the ground it ever would.
      1. All the buildings on the east bank (or the New Campus) were destroyed by the fire except the Library.
      2. The New Campus was slowly rebuilt.
      3. Henry was killed in the fire and the Pattell family lost control of the school.
    9. Former Engineer Officer John Lox took control of the school
      1. Lox
        1. Had become an avowed pacifist after the war
        2. Youngest of the Civil War vets in the faculty, but also the best trained educator
        3. Came from a very wealthy family in New England
        4. His family was indispensable in financing the new school
      2. School was re-designated Pattell University
        1. The Business Division was converted to the College of Architecture
        2. The Law Division became the College of Library Science
        3. The Natural History Division became the College of Natural History  
        4. Portions of the library were used as a make-shift hospital immediately after the Fire.  Several of the doctors and nurses stayed and helped form the College of Medicine
      3. Lox sold off the buildings and land on Goose Island in order to help finance the rebuilding of the new school grounds
      4. Sports
        1. As amateur sports took off in the 1880s and 90s Lox insisted that no violent sports would be played at Pattell.  
        2. He most encouraged swimming and diving.
      5. Lox died in 1915 at 75
    10. Several more lucrative sports were added between 1915 and 1935 (football, basketball, gymnastics), but by 1965 they had dwindled to the current 8 varsity teams

No comments: