Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Feast of Saint Valentine

Today is the Feast of Saint Valentine, or St. Valentine's Day. I want to take this opportunity to say publicly that I love Mrs. Prop. I know that's not much of a Valentine, but I got her some cards too.

Did you know that St. Valentine had nothing to do with romance or lovers, but that in the middle ages the saint's feast day became associated with romance, because in England February 14 is when the birds mate?

By the way, how come gansta's now-a-days don't have enough class to name famous inter-gang exchanges after famous days. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre sounds so poetic don't it?

I think if we put it up along side equivalent current situations (drive-bys and such) that we would see if for what it was, not something romantic, but something low-down and criminal.

Hooray for the Cops and I'll say a prayer for you.

PS: I just found out that my Roman Catholic Lectionary for Mass says that today is the feast of St. Cyril, Monk and St. Methodius, Bishop. What? I never heard of those guys? I think the Catholics are missing the boat today.

No comments: