Monday, February 12, 2007

Happy Darwin Day


Wow, what a day. It's Lincoln's AND Darwin's Birthday. I didn't know they were the same day. It's kind of ironic you know.

I guess if you don't care about American presidents, or the United States as a singular entity, or the abolition of slavery in said country, then you can celebrate the other day, or not.

When I was in OBC I had a friend named Ray from rural TN. One day his parents came to visit and we all went to dinner in their van. At one point Ray said, "Hey, Ma, Bill is an Anthropology Major."

I just knew this was going to be trouble, but I, like Hercules, had to meet my fate.

She said, in a most innocent tone, "Anthropology, do you believe in evolution?"

I replied in the positive. To that she spun round in her chair, put her finger in my face and said, "WRONG!"

I'm just happy she didn't throw me out of the van.

"I was made in God's image," she said, "and God don't look like no damn monkey!"

Well, I didn't debate her (we hadn't eaten yet and there was still a good chance that Ray's parents would buy) but I'd be more than happy to debate it here in the comments.

Unless of course you only admire Mr. Darwin for his study of finches.

And oh, by the way, I agreed with Mr. Lincoln too, so bring on that debate as well.

No comments: