Wednesday, April 03, 2013

I Won!

After a long hiatus, I've started participating in contests at Anotherealm.com again.  My previous story there had been in 2004.  I sent in a story for the June-July Flash contest and one for the February-March Flash contest.
Flash is a story of 1000 words or less.  Anotherealm is a website of Science Fiction (SF), Fantasy and Horror.

Anotherealm is the first place I ever posted a story on-line and the first place I ever wrote a flash piece for.  It was also the first place I ever actually SOLD a story to.  It was a Lovecraftian horror story called, "Alone."

The June-July contest was to write a flash story with Tourists as the prompt.  My story for the contest was called, "So Many Shades of Black" and it was a fantasy piece.

The February-March contest had the prompt of Microbial Small.  My story, "A Little Dominance" is a SF story set in Howlina, the island nation I created here on Illini6.  The story was very heavily influenced by Blue Oyster Cult's "Dominance and Submission."


Go read it and please comment, here, there and everywhere.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

its pretty good i really liked the ending!

Anonymous said...

I can see why you won, Bill. I really liked it. I wanted to continue reading to see what came next. Are you going to continue? I'm curious to know what happens now. Love you, A. Char xoxoxoxoxo ;-p

Inner Prop said...

Thank you, thank you.

This isn't meant to be the beginning of a story, but it is a snapshot of the overall story I have in mind for Howlina.

I really don't have time now to do the full Howlina story justice. It really needs to be a book and I don't work well with dragging a book along over months and months. The only sort of long form success I've had is when I can focus very tightly for a burst. I just don't have time for that right now.

Also, my muse is calling me elsewhere. My muse is VERY fickle and blows me around like a windsock in Soldier Field.

Three days ago she wanted me to do Superhero stories; today she wants me to do a Cozy.