Saturday, May 16, 2009

I SCORED!

I played Rugby today for the Lake County Gladiators against Fox Valley Maoris. I didn't start but about five minutes in the starting Loosehead Prop went down with a badly sprained calf. I went in and played the rest of the match.

About half way through the first half we were at about the five meter line and there was a ruck forming (I don't think it had actually formed yet, which was why this worked). The ball came out and went past me. I heard the Ref (I don’t know why people call the ref, "The Sir" it seems strange to me) say, "Play on."

I turned around and picked up the ball expecting to be hit in the back, but I wasn't and I turned toward the goal line. Most of the other players looked confused. They weren't confused enough to do nothing, but too confused and worried about going off-sides that they hadn't hit me yet. I saw a gap and hit it. Several members of the other team tried to tackle me, but they had been caught flat footed and they managed to bring me down with my head and shoulders in the In Goal area. I reached out with the ball as I went down and downed the ball half in goal. I moved it forward immediately to make sure it was a try, but the ref called it as soon as I had downed it the first time.

It was strange because I think I've only ever scored four times previously, the last time in 2005. In '05 I was really pumped and jumped up and screamed. This time I got up and walked back to midfield. I got a lot of hand slaps, but nothing really that impressed. I guess it was because in the game in '05 mine was the only score for our teams (I think we played three matches that day) all day.

Today we won 57-12. The other Bill on the team (Number 8) scored three times. It got to the point when the forwards were asking whose turn it was next.

Anyway I scored today, number five in my life, so I am really happy. I had to preserve the story for posterity.

This week, I'll be very happy to tell people, "I am a Rugby player."

This isn't actually me, and I had a lot more resistance when I scored, but I kinda dived this way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA YOU!! Doesn't it feel the best to be able to partipate in something you really enjoy and be a star besides?! I sure hope there was someone there w/a camera. Were any family members w/you? Yea again!

chl

Inner Prop said...

I didn't say I was a star in either case. You will notice I said that I did not start. Thanks anyway, that is what mothers are for isn't it?

LTC John said...

Sure, it had to be against my old team...

Inner Prop said...

I thought you'd like that sir. It did make it extra sweet.

BTW, my try in '05 was against the Griffins.

My brother sent me an email that he was going to refrain from busting my chops, but he's more than welcome to post whatever comments he has :]

Anonymous said...

Don't let Big G brag too much about having 5 tries in one match, it was a C side match against a blind little girls side...wish I was still playing like you are, I miss it every day.

-MMc

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Bill! Proud of you! And thanks for letting us know. Bushia was so glad to hear from you. Love, Auntie Char....

Anonymous said...

Grats Inner Prop,
You need that bumper sticker "Yes Mom, I still play rugby".

Cheers,
Oldboy1