Friday, July 19, 2013

I Wish

I haven't posted in a bit because I was trying to put together a well-crafted and developed argument against calling something in hockey a, "scrum."

In my opinion you shouldn't call an illegal activity after the whistle, with no organization, a scrum.

Scrums are highly organized restarts to the game after a minor altercation.  They are much more akin to a face-off.

If they insist on using a Rugby term I think they should call these things rucks.  That's a good, tough, hockey sounding word.

However, I looked in the NHL 2012-2013 Rulebook and the word "scrum" is indeed used for these activities.

So now I'm just a hockey newbie who doesn't know what he is talking about, and I should just sit down and shut up, right?

No.  I still get my opinion and I say it is wrong to call it a scrum.  I'm still going to cringe everytime I hear it, but I will stop shouting at my TV.  At least I'll stop shouting at it for this reason.

Does this:
Scrum
Look like this:
hockey thingie
I don't think so.

I think this:
Face-off
Looks a lot like this:
Scrum (before engaged)

No comments: