|Why the school bus? Tune in next week|
I see that I haven't posted since January. Why; you ask? There are several reasons.
- I wanted to shift my focus to getting enrolled in a Masters program
- I wanted to hold posting until I had several post pre-written so I could post on a regular schedule.
- I wanted to work out a story-line that I could work into a serialized set of stories
- I have some stories I wanted to write for submission and they took priority
- I didn't just want to write about feelings or rants. I want this blog to be about stories, mostly my fiction writing, but also some of my personal "war stories."
I think five reasons is enough. Why am I posting now? Several reasons as well.
- I have used #1 above as an excuse for too long. I have dragged my feet in getting enrolled and I will no longer allow myself to use it as an excuse
- I have now, finally pre-written several posts
- I am still working on what story-line will work best, but I have several in the works, and I have gotten on a roll of writing SOMETHING every day for the last two months.
- I wrote those stories (or a couple of them at least) they were rejected. I'm moving on. I will probably post one of them here broken into a couple posts.
- This is the beauty of my new plan.
I felt that if I were to write my "war journal" here I would have to do it in chronological order, and/or this blog would become only that, and my fiction would suffer. My new plan is to help me write and post on a regular basis, regardless.
I have spoken before about the schedule the Mickey Mouse Club from the 1950s used:
- Monday is Music Day
- Tuesday is Talent Day
- Wednesday is Anything Can Happen Day
- Thursday is Circus Day
- Friday is Guest-star Day
I thought about doing that and modifying it a bit, but still keeping a daily schedule. I realized now that daily is far far too ambitious. I'm going to go with weekly. I will cover a different topic each week of the month, This way I can work on things for several months, but always keep writing and posting.
The other new idea is that I'm going to limit my posts to about 500-1000 words. This may seem very short, but I think it will help me conceptualize and realize the goal. If I'm thinking I only need to get to 500 words I won't be too intimidated by it. The other thing I'm going to do is break posts up. It won't be blindly at 500-1000 words. I'll search for a natural break, but I will break up longer pieces so that they will provide multiple posts, rather than one long one followed by longer and longer breaks between posts.
Why do I want many posts; why do I want them regular?
Well, this is 507 words so you'll have to wait until the next post, You will also find out what my new weekly schedule will be.
I hope you're curious. What would you like to see in my weekly schedule?